Saturday, August 16, 2014

Old SPED Reaction Paper




Still part of the files I came across when I was going over my files earlier. I still carry the message I've written back then (2008) with concrete actions taken to carry it on till today.

Reaction Paper
SPED 10 – Introduction to Special Education
M.U.S.T.
1st semester 2008

What Is The Importance Of Special Education In My Life and Our Society
( A Reaction Paper )

Taking up Special Education at this point in my life has given me a renewed perspective and put my creative mind back to work again which gives me so much joy in my everyday life now. In spite of the seemingly endless reading,  research, and meeting new words, which by the way  sometimes feel overwhelming, my enthusiasm in trying to learn everything that is being taken up in the classroom is staggering that sometimes I think my reception to it is extra ordinary  (to euphemize abnormal!). The best part of it? --- I AM HAVING SO MUCH FUN!


I admit in the last 15 years, I was just “floating” in as much as “career” direction is concerned. Why? Because I gave priority to motherhood and family life that my “career” had to take a backseat and put motherhood in the forefront. It has been just family and my community involvement seemed to have ceased.  I’m not whining, mind you. Motherhood is a great thing and a blessing for me.  Yes, I did write books, and that was, and still is, a passion I will always have. But the advent of Special Education in my life now enhanced more the ideas of the books I will write in the near future and brought me back to where I should be --- the community.

Everything has its season so I heard… and this is my season…. HERE and NOW.

My two kids are now relatively old enough to understand that even if I am not home for a couple of days to be here in Cagayan for school or I arrive so late at night (around 12 midnight)  from my classes here,  they do understand that my love and care for them never cease. Good thing about what’s happening to me now is that I involve them in my SPED education that we spend time, no matter how short it is sometimes, talking about what am doing.

I now even try to convince my girl of 7, to be a Speech Pathologist when she’s grown up. Why? Because there is so much work to do in this field and a lot of kids and adults alike with speech disability/impairment could only sigh for the lack of services that they should be receiving. It’s disheartening but its reality.

If only the University of the Phil. said they accept second courser when I inquired few days back, I might be pursuing speech pathology by second semester. But they said they don’t accept second courser. So I thought, I must start to show my daughter how much she can help a lot of kids with speech impairment/disability if she be a speech pathologist. That may at least be a great contribution to my continued advocacy to special education even when by the time my daughter is an adult, I will be somewhere else in another dimension. Now… THAT WILL MAKE ME HAPPY.

I believe that if we put purposive effort to raise awareness of how important that we help each other to facilitate equal opportunities for individuals with disabilities through special education, then better lives for individuals with disabilities will bring about a good living condition, better governance, and a society confident of its fair and nurturing social relationships, strong economic base,  and a global concern for unity and peace.

For now, I need to equip myself first theoretically and in practice. So when the time comes for me to be out there in the field, I will be able to make a difference in the lives of the ones that I will be in touch with… whether they be special people or very special people.

MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO OTHER PEOPLE’S LIVES…. that’s the way it should be.

----------------------  *****************  ---------------------




No comments:

Post a Comment